Christina McIntyre, BecomeAlum founder, shared her college advising insights on #CampusChat, June 2, 2010. The main topic was academic planning and covered everything from deciding on a major to graduation rates to paying for college. It was a fascinating discussion with terrific input from all who participated.
Here are some of the top take-aways from Christina:
- Look up grad rates on collegeresults.org then ask schools how they are
trying to improve
- Coming to an advising meeting with a plan of study really impresses an
advisor and starts the dialog
- It can be very telling during a visit to school w/ low graduation rate
to ask a variety of people what they are doing to improve
- During a visit ask about advising. If you type "Advising" on a college
website what comes up? This can be telling.
- 4-year graduation rate = 38%; 6 yr rate = ~ 60% at US college/universities
It was clear that better academic planning is needed to meet enrollment, graduation, and financial goals for students and institutions. To read the entire exchange, click on the transcript link below.
Feel free to contact Christina McIntyre via email at: [email protected], on Twitter @BecomeAlum, and visit BecomeAlum.com to learn more about how their academic planning tool can impact student success.