SmartCollegeVisit October 2010 Digest
Each month, an amazing group of students, parents, writers, educators, and consultants appear on SmartCollegeVisit. Though this web site is centered around our passion for helping people get the most from their college visits, we also explore topics that may be of interest to parents (and students) once their teens are enrolled in college.
Today, I want to thank everyone who contributed to our posts during the month of October. Though October may be the 10th month of the year, it's the 12th month we've been publishing articles for college-bound teens and their families! So, a big thank you goes to the following folks who contributed to SmartCollegeVisit's 12th month:
- Eric Stoller, for answering my questions and sharing insights about how colleges are there for the parents, too. — When Your Child Turns 18 and Goes to College: What Parents Need to Know
- Duong Sheahan and the ChicagoMoms for permission to repost Duong's story of her journey as a parent of a college-bound teen.
- Janson Woodlee, co-founder of IvyEyesEditing for his guest post: The 5 Biggest Mistakes in College Admissions Essays and Anne Giles Clelland for the College Admission Application Checklist.
- college students: David Replogle, Corey Bobco, Lauren Joffe for their posts from The Real College Guide.
- Nancy Berk, for sharing the news with me about her high school senior, Hunter Berk, and his effort to help everyone gain access to college prep materials.
- Chad Ratliff, whose chat on the topic The Knowledge Workforce ended early due to technical difficulties with Twitter. We will revisit that topic with Chad again.
- Sharon Mostyn, who asked great questions about what parents need to know when beginning the college admissions process with their teens.
- College students, Kelly Rivard and Chelsea Merget, for leading the discussion on student jobs by talking about the number of jobs they are juggling while in college and how they try to keep up with a school/social/work life balance.
- Jennifer Forde, customer service representative for Fleet Aviation who provided information about the value and affordability of charter flights to visit campuses on the east coast.
The entire group of regulars to #CampusChat and all of those who are discovering the chat and joining in on our discussions to help teens, parents, admissions reps and counselors. It's an inspiring group of people to meet with each week.
OUR WRITERS THIS MONTH AND THE SCHOOLS
- Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, University of Virginia (College Tour Halloween Haunts)
- Liberty University (Snowflex)
- Syracuse University (Whitman School of Management)
- Virginia Tech (One student's story)
Stay tuned — subscribe to SmartCollegeVisit — we're covering more schools, unique learning programs, more great Smart See, Smart Do on college campuses, plus a whole lot more. More announcements and a new site design are coming in November 2010. Subscribe now so you won't miss a thing!