SCV Weekend Wrap-up 10/09/11
New on Smart College Visit (SCV)
This week, we welcomed John Carpenter as a guest contributor to Smart College Visit. John's 30-year career spans both guidance counseling and college admissions. His new book, of Going Geek: What Every Smart Kid (and Every Smart Parent) Should Know about College Admissions is a guide to the highly competitive world of college admissions.
Focus of the week: College Admission Essays
Tips for writing college admission essays was the theme for the week with tips for parents from Dr. Nancy Berk's College Mom Minute and insight on how, and why, to write in your "real" voice by John Carpenter: Colleges Want You to Get Real.
We continued this discussion during #CampusChat, our weekly Twitter chat. Some of the essay tips were:
- fujifulgueras: @collegevisit I tell students that see "essay optional" …that they very much should choose the option! #campuschat
- Franaway: @collegevisit Like the tip to write about what one learned & how one felt rather than just about this happened, that happened.#campuschat
- nancyberk: S.M.A.R.T. RT @collegevisit: Proofing tip: Use Find to search for key words, school names..to make sure the right name is used #campuschat
(Note: S.M.A.R.T. –> Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely)
- SylvanTualatin: @collegevisit What we've noticed is kids not using their vocabulary 2 the best of their ability. #campuschat
- SheldonWordNerd: @collegevisit Essays are a definite way to show your verbal chops. Just make sure you use those fifty-cent words correctly 🙂#CampusChat
Our college visit tip of the week was on how to "visit" colleges at a college fair in this post: The College Fair: Go Prepared.
Steve Jobs: Where'd he go to school?
Sadly, the world said farewell to Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Computer. One of the things I always want to know about someone when we meet is where he or she went to college. It's the reason behind the SCV series "Where'd They Go to School?"
I was always fascinated by the fact that Steve chose Reed College to further his education. He explains this in his Stanford Commencement Address (YouTube video), along with which class influenced him the most and why he dropped out of college.
Like many people who end up on our "Where'd They Go" list, whether they completed a degree or not, education plays an important role in shaping who they become in life. Where are you going?