Top 10 Tips for Living on Campus
"The Pros and Cons of Living On/Off Campus" was the discussion topic for #CampusChat, July 18, 2012. Current and former college students shared their insights, including lessons they've learned from living on-campus.
Below are their top 10 tips. The complete transcript is also available here on SmartCollegeVisit.
- Learn to cope: You literally can deal with anything if you have made it through college roommates.
- Gain sharper life skills: Those are invaluable. A freshman dorm isn't far from camp.
- No matter who you live with, map out boundaries early. Even the nitty gritty. Overnight guests, sharing food, sharing TV, noise. All of it.
- Your car may go unused for a while: Know how to jump-start a car and change a tire.
- Kids need to learn to live w/ others. I think there are lots of important lessons in that.
- Roommates can't be too similar either. Two strong personalities…. The room is only so big.
- Find places on campus where you can chill/relax. May not be your room.
- Get Involved! – I would not be as involved as I am on campus if I did not live there.
- Understand that people live differently than you. Be open and RESPECTFUL of other lifestyles.
- You learn a ton about yourself and others from roommates.