A Visit with Bach
— Planning to visit Rollins College, the University of Central Florida or Stetson University this fall? Why not plan your campus visit and take in a little Bach when you visit?
Here’s something: the Bach Festival Society of Winter Park is in Florida. I always figured “Winter Park” must be up north – some New England town covered in snow and surrounded by stone walls. But no, Winter Park is actually near Orlando, and that sets up an opportunity.
You see, our daughter wants to major in music and three of the best college music programs are all right around Orlando, Florida: Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and Stetson University. In fact, the Bach Festival Society is hosted on campus at Rollins College. So I can combine a college tour to any one of these three colleges with a concert!
It’s exciting–the Bach Festival Society is internationally recognized as one of America’s great
oratorio companies. The choir has over 160 members, and each year a number of Rollins students are invited to audition to become part of the choir.
And it’s not just Bach. Here are some highlights of their schedule this fall:
- October 23 – Emanuel Ax will play Beethoven and Brahms.
- November 9 and 10 – Performances of Sir MichaelTippett’s A Child of Our Time.
- November 17 – The Miró Quartet will perform an all-Schubert program.
The performance dates dovetail nicely with many of the colleges’ open house dates:
- Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Sunday October 27, 2013 12:30 pm – 4:40 pm
- Saturday, October 19, 2013
- Saturday, November 23, 2013
- Saturday, January 25, 2014
UCF is just 10 miles from Rollins College.
- Sunday, November 10, 2013
- Saturday, Februray 1, 2014 (University Discover Day)
- Saturday, February 15, 2014
- Saturday, March 22, 2014
Stetson is 36 miles from Rollins College.
If you’re planning a campus visit near Orlando this fall, the Bach Festival Society is a great way to spend some quality down-time with your student.
Don J. Hanson is father of a high school senior and a contributor to Smart College Visit.