Common App Mishaps: Tips to Stay Informed
With Early Decision deadlines approaching and the on-going problems with the Common App, it’s not surprising parents and students may be feeling an even higher level of stress over applying to college this fall. Rather than let the stress of dealing with systems not in your control get to you, control what you can and stay informed.
Here are a few tips to do just that:
- Know the application deadlines from each school to which your teen plans to submit an application.
- Start Now. Even if the application deadline is 1 week, 2 weeks, or even a month away, get the application started and keep on it. You may be able to avoid delays related to technology glitches that could pop up.
- Keep a backup of everything related to the application, even if it simply means making a screen capture of your application, downloading the app, or printing out the application. If there is a system failure and you have to begin again, at least you won’t have to rethink every question in the app and resubmitting will go more quickly.
- Follow the Twitter accounts and Facebook accounts for the schools where applications will be submitted. Deadline extensions and other updates from the admissions office will likely be posted through social media channels.
- Follow the Common Application on Twitter and Facebook as well. They are definitely posting updates through these channels.
- Submit the application prior to the deadline. You don’t want to wait until the last minute and be part of a system overload that may cause glitches. Perhaps by submitting early there will be time to resolve any problems related to the application process.