Smart College Visit Turns Six
WE’RE CELEBRATING OUR 6TH YEAR!
Six years ago, on November 9, 2009, we launched SmartCollegeVisit.com as a resource for college-bound teens and their parents to search for colleges and easily plan and book travel to visit colleges.
The vision we had back then remains true today — we believe that choosing where to attend college is an important decision; that the campus visit plays an important role in that process; and the better access students have to quality information about choosing, visiting, and applying to college, the better equipped they will be to make good choices about where to further their education.
I’d like to thank all of the people who have been part of SCV over the years:
- Alex Edelman, developer since our launch
- Gail Billingsley, SCV’s first COO (2012 – 2013)
- Amy Widner, editor and lead writer
- Suzanne Shaffer, #CampusChat coordinator and manager of @collegevisit on Twitter
- Don Hanson, college profile data manager and writer
- Nancy Berk, Monica Matthews, Lisa Warren, Kathie Dickinson, Beth Parker, Wendy David Gaines, and Chad Dorman and numerous other guest bloggers
- All of our expert guests who have shared an hour of their time and insights on #CampusChat
- Our amazing interns: Chelsea Merget, Valorie Grove, Hallie Holton, Charlotte Tuohy, and Jenna Wines
Our advisors and advisory board members:
- James Jarrett and Karen Torgersen (2010-2013)
- Jim Flowers (2010 – present)
- Jason Falls (June 2015 – present)
Virginia Tech, University of New Haven, Bridgewater College, Concord University, St. Lawrence University, College-Connections, Inc., MLA Technology Group, UIU Link, NRV IP Law, Montgomery County Tourism, and rGolf, Inc.
Highlights over the past 6 years include:
August 2011 – SCV announces the Smart Visit Widget
The most-read blog posts on Smart College Visit:
Student-to-Student: Questions to ask on a College Visit
Top 10 Tips for Dressing Smart for your College Admissions Interview
What to put in your 500-Word College Application Essay
SCV Mobile – Smartphone Apps for Colleges
Awards & Recognition
- 2010: SCV wins VT KnowledgeWorks Entrepreneurial Summit award for Best Business Concept
- 2011: Listed in the top 50 Education Advice Blogs by Scholarships.org
- 2012: Finalist in the Center for Innovative Technology (CIT) GAP 50 Award Finalists
- 2013: SCV wins Outstanding Technology Company award by the Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
- 2015: Included in “6 Startups to Watch Out of Virginia Tech’s Incubator” by DCInno